Saturday 6 February 2010

Painkiller Sandwich


Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is a fucker. I was alright (more or less) the day after the boot camp, but spent today hobbling around going "ow". I resorted to the Painkiller Sandwich, as explained to me by a doctor who was trying to treat my back pain a couple of years ago.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, don't recommend you do this without medical advice, etc., etc.

Take two ibuprofen tablets. Wait two hours, take two paracetamols. Wait two hours, take two ibuprofens. Repeat until you reach the maximum daily dose of each (six pills of each a day if I'm reading the packet instructions right - I'm still here, so we'll assume I am), or the pain goes away.

This way you can get maximum pain relief - and the anti-inflammatory effect of the ibuprofens, which is what I needed - without maxing out the dose of pills. Ibuprofen and paracetamols are processed in different ways by the body. It slightly concerns me that I've lived the sort of life where I need to know this, but so it goes.

Last night I added my own variation on this, which is to skip the final dose of paracetamols and drink half a bottle of rose (wine not the flower) instead. It's not big, it's not pretty and it's not clever, but after the week I've had, it was necessary.

Today I'm feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment