Sunday 12 February 2012

Personal Development

There's not really a whole lot I can say right now. No exciting rides, no new dives. (I bought some new bike panniers from Edinburgh Bike Coop and saw 'Chronicle', which was fun.)

At some point I'm going to have a meeting with my manager at which I think we're going to talk about "personal development". I rather wish they would call it "professional development" instead.

Because, let's be honest, I really doubt my employer is interested in my development as a person. If so, they'd be enrolling me in meditation classes, encouraging me to stop work often so I could do the exercises that might cure the back pain I've had for years, and enabling me to finish work at 5pm every night so I could have an actual personal life, and not be so knackered I drag myself to the gym, drag myself home, fall asleep before I can do anything in the house, and spend my weekends trying to frantically catch up on all the things I haven't done during the week. Lather, rinse, repeat.

No, the best thing my employer can do for my personal development is do something about my workload, and then get out of the way. I'm going to have that conversation with my manager, maybe not phrased in that way, and then we'll see where things go.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment