Friday 22 January 2010

"I don't get people..."

As my hero Charlie Brooker once said*.


Today I had one of those days. Mainly because it started with a union meeting. No disrespect to the union bods involved, but the subject matter was so depressing I came out of it and had to eat two fun-sized choccy bars just to achieve a state of mind where I didn't want to shriek and jump through the window.


I then tried to do work whilst my Estimable Colleague No. 1 was out of the office. Estimable Colleague No. 1 was having a busy day, so I answered his phone three times. Unfortunately, I had the same conversation with each of the people involved:


Me: "Hello, [Estimable Colleague No. 1]'s phone."

Speaker: "Is he there?"

Me [thinks in head, "Does he have a secretary? No. Do I sound like his secretary? No."]: "No, I'm afraid not."


By the third time, I was seriously close to replying, "No, if he was here he'd be answering his own bloody phone, wouldn't he?"


Next time I should just let his answerphone get it.


Oh well. I went for a walk at lunchtime and ate some free ice-cream (well, free frozen yoghurt) from the Ben and Jerry's stall at the Odeon Cinema. Free ice cream cures all.







Thank God for weekends.



*The quote in full:

"I don't get people. What's their appeal, precisely? They waddle around with their haircuts on, cluttering the pavement like gormless, farting skittles."

No comments:

Post a Comment